MMA fighter Sergio Da Silva has been found GUILTY of robbing a bank in New York back in August 2017 … and now he’s facing up to 7 years behind bars.
The 32-year-old was convicted of 3rd-degree robbery after jurors viewed surveillance footage of the incident … where Da Silva is seen jumping on the counter and demanding cash.
As we previously reported … bank workers claimed Da Silva threatened to shoot them as he demanded cash at the Astoria Citibank.
Da Silva was facing 2 felony robbery charges. Since the security footage couldn’t prove he had a gun, he was found not guilty of 1st-degree robbery … which carries a maximum 25-year prison sentence.
Da Silva’s attorney, David Fish, tells TMZ Sports his client is planning to appeal.
Fish also said, “Thanks to the insight of the jury, he walked out of court a free man Thursday and was not convicted of any violent offense.”
Da Silva’s sentencing is set for February 28.
Roy Jones Jr. says a new deal he inked with UFC to stream his boxing events won’t just benefit his own sport — it’ll elevate UFC as well … and it might make a potential fight between himself and Anderson Silva that much more likely to happen.
We got the 6-time boxing champ at LAX Friday on the heels of a joint announcement Roy and Dana White rolled out just hours earlier — UFC Fight Pass will stream up to 72 pro boxing events put on by Roy Jones Jr.’s Boxing Promotions company … for 3 years!
Roy certainly seems jazzed about the news, telling us it’s a partnership that he and his pal, Dana, have been circling for a while … but only took about a month or so to hammer out on paper once everything was in place. He says it’s a win-win for both sports.
Now for the juicy part … we ask if he still thinks he’ll get in the ring one last time to fight Spider himself, as he’d previously expressed interest in doing this past January.
Check out his response … sounds like he’s still waiting on DW to sign off, but ya gotta think this new contract can only help the cause.